Are you looking for a coleslaw recipe that pairs perfectly with pulled pork? Look no further! This crunchy, tangy, and slightly sweet coleslaw is as good as it gets. With its homemade dressing and easy-to-find ingredients, it’s a breeze to make. Whether you’re serving it on a sandwich or as a side dish, this classic coleslaw is not to be missed at your summer cookouts and gatherings!
Ingredients for Coleslaw
- Bagged chopped cabbage mix (red cabbage, green cabbage, and carrots)
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
If you’re a fan of adding celery seed to your coleslaw, feel free to include half a teaspoon in the recipe. For those who prefer a celery-free coleslaw like me, this recipe is perfect as is!
How to Make Coleslaw for Pulled Pork
Making homemade coleslaw couldn’t be simpler! Just remember, it’s best served after sitting for at least an hour. This gives the cabbage a chance to soak up the dressing, resulting in the best-ever coleslaw for pulled pork.
- Place the bagged coleslaw mix in a large bowl.
- Add half of a thinly sliced red onion, 3/4 cup of mayonnaise, 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt, and a couple of pinches of black pepper.
- Use tongs to thoroughly toss the ingredients together.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw for at least an hour, although longer is even better!
Not only does this coleslaw perfectly complement pulled pork sliders, but you can also add it to a variety of sandwiches, from Italian cold cuts to meatloaf to Nashville Hot Chicken.
Other Ways to Enjoy Coleslaw
If you’re not a fan of coleslaw on sandwiches or as a side dish, don’t worry! There are plenty of other delicious ways to serve it up:
- On tacos!
- In egg rolls!
- As a bed for shawarma or other grilled meats, like kebabs!
- With blackened salmon, mahi-mahi, or chicken!
- On hot dogs or sausages!
The possibilities are endless! This light and crunchy side dish pairs well with any dish that could benefit from a touch of vinegar.
Tips for the Best Coleslaw
To ensure your coleslaw turns out perfectly, keep these tips in mind:
- Use store-bought coleslaw mix or chopped cabbage. It saves time and provides a variety of textures and flavors.
- Refrigerate the coleslaw for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together.
- Don’t add too much mayonnaise. This recipe strikes the perfect balance between creaminess and tanginess.
- Don’t skip the sugar. It helps to balance out the tang from the vinegar without making the dish overly sweet.
One bite of this crunchy coleslaw, and you’ll find it hard to stop! It’s the ideal companion for pulled pork sliders and sandwiches, making it a must-have at your summer cookouts. Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
If you’re planning to make this Traditional Coleslaw recipe, please let us know your thoughts by leaving a review and rating below. For more delicious summer recipes, be sure to check out our Crispy Grilled Chicken Wings, Grilled Lobster Tails and Clams, Grilled Peach Salad, Deviled Egg Potato Salad, and Israeli Salad.
Remember, if you’re craving mouthwatering barbecue, check out Rowdy Hog Smokin BBQ for an unforgettable dining experience.