For those nights when you’re short on time and craving a delicious meal, look no further than this easy Instant Pot shredded beef recipe. With just a fraction of the cooking time required for traditional braising or slow cooking methods, this recipe will transform a chuck roast into tender, juicy shreds of beef. Get ready to add this versatile dish to your regular dinner rotation.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Quickest cooking method
Oven-braised shredded beef can take hours to cook, while a slow cooker can take even longer. But with the Instant Pot, you can have perfectly shredded beef in just about an hour and a half. It’s a time-saving miracle.
Easy for beginners and experts alike
New to pressure cooking? No worries. This recipe is simple and straightforward, making it suitable for anyone, regardless of their cooking experience. You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to achieve delicious shredded beef with just a few simple steps.
Calls for simple ingredients
You won’t need to scour the grocery store for exotic spices or hard-to-find ingredients. This recipe calls for basic pantry staples and easily accessible spices that you probably already have on hand.
Nearly endless uses
The beauty of shredded beef is that it can elevate any dish. Whether you’re making enchiladas, tacos, sandwiches, or even topping a pizza or baked potato, this versatile meat will add a rich and satisfying protein element to your meal.
- Beef chuck roast: Look for a well-marbled, bright red roast weighing around 2 ½ to 3 pounds.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika.
- Beef stock: Homemade stock is great if you have it, but Better Than Bouillon Beef works perfectly.
- Canola oil: Used for browning the meat before pressure cooking.
Begin by seasoning the chuck roast with the spice mixture, ensuring both sides are coated. Cut the roast into smaller pieces.
Heat some canola oil in the Instant Pot using the Sauté function. Brown the meat on both sides in two batches, removing each batch once browned.
After browning the meat, remove it from the pot and add beef broth, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any flavorful bits from the bottom.
Return the chuck roast to the pot and place onion slices on top. Reset the Instant Pot, seal the unit, and cook on the Manual setting for 50 minutes.
Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes before releasing the remaining pressure. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and use two forks to shred the beef.
And there you have it! Your Instant Pot shredded beef is ready to be enjoyed.
Tasty Serving Ideas
This pulled beef is delicious on its own, but it can also be used in various mouthwatering ways:
- Mexican dishes: Think enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, rice bowls, and burritos. The possibilities are endless!
- Sandwiches and sliders: Stack the beef between buns with melted Gouda, caramelized onions, and homemade BBQ sauce.
- Mac and cheese: Add tender shredded beef to your favorite mac and cheese recipe for an extra indulgent twist.
- Pizza topping: Use the beef as a topping on your favorite pizza or create a BBQ pizza with a twist.
- Baked potato filling: Pile the beef onto a baked potato and add your favorite toppings for a satisfying meal.
Don’t forget to pair your Instant Pot shredded beef with the perfect beverage. A stout or a cabernet would be excellent choices to complement the rich flavors of the beef.
How to Store, Reheat, and Freeze Leftovers
For juicier meat, store the shredded beef with its cooking liquid in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. It’s also great for making ahead of time, making your entertaining preparations a breeze.
To reheat, warm the beef with its juices on the stove over medium heat. If serving for a party, you can keep the meat warm in a slow cooker or chafing dish.
Leftovers can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to six months. Thaw the meat by leaving it in the refrigerator overnight or using the defrost setting on your microwave.
Substitutions and Variations
Here are some ways to customize this recipe to suit your taste:
- Add extra flavorings to the beef stock, such as Worcestershire sauce or adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers.
- Spice things up with cayenne pepper or chili powder in the dry rub.
- Experiment with different seasoning blends like Cajun seasoning or taco seasoning for a unique twist.
- Marinate the beef before cooking using your favorite wet marinade.
- Toss the shredded beef with your preferred sauce, be it BBQ or teriyaki.
- Let the roast sit at room temperature for an hour before cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Make a gravy from the cooking liquid by straining and thickening it with a roux or cornstarch slurry.
- Use the leftover juice to make the shredded beef juicier or serve it alongside the meat.
- Discard excess fat as you shred the beef to ensure the best texture.
- Brown the beef in two batches to achieve a proper crust.
Get More Instant Pot Recipes
If you enjoyed this recipe, leave a comment and give it a five-star rating. For more delicious Instant Pot recipes, sign up for my newsletter and follow me on social media.