When it comes to a tender and mouthwatering veal roast, this recipe is a true standout. Bursting with flavor and cooked in a delectable sauce, it’s perfect for a Sunday dinner or a festive holiday feast. But here’s the exciting part – this veal roast is not just reserved for the colder months; it’s a delightful option for summer too! Light and delicate, it pairs beautifully with roasted potatoes or couscous, adding a touch of elegance to any meal.
Expert Tips for a Perfect Roast
Cooking this veal roast to perfection is a breeze with a Dutch oven or another oven-proof heavy-bottomed dish with a lid. Covering the pot tightly with aluminum foil will also do the trick if a lid is not available.
As for the sauce, you have two options. For a thicker and heartier sauce, blend the vegetables; however, if you prefer a more delicate sauce, strain the contents and discard the vegetables. To thicken the sauce in this case, mix cornstarch with a little cold water.
Ingredients for a Culinary Masterpiece
To create this culinary masterpiece, you’ll need:
- Boneless veal roast, approximately 1-1.2 kg/2.2-2.5 lbs (top round of veal works well)
- Vegetables: Onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and tomatoes
- Liquid: Chicken or veal stock (half of the liquid can be replaced with dry white wine)
- Spices: Fine sea salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme, and white balsamic vinegar
Step-by-Step Culinary Adventure
- Begin by preheating the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Dry the veal roast with a kitchen towel, then rub it with salt, pepper, and thyme for a burst of flavor.
- Chop the onions and garlic, setting them aside. In a separate bowl, dice the celery, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Sear the veal roast in a Dutch oven, about 3 minutes per side, ensuring all sides are seared to perfection.
- Add the onions and garlic to the Dutch oven, cooking for approximately 2 minutes while stirring. Follow by adding the celery, tomatoes, and carrots, cooking for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and add ¼ teaspoon of fine sea salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Cover the Dutch oven and place it in the preheated oven. Allow it to cook for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours, or until the internal temperature reaches 72°C/160°F.
- Once cooked, transfer the roasted veal to a plate and let it rest while you prepare the sauce.
- Add a splash of white balsamic vinegar to the pot and blend the sauce until it reaches a smooth and velvety consistency.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning with additional salt, black pepper, or vinegar as desired.
- Slice the veal roast and serve immediately, generously drizzling each serving with the luscious sauce.
Serving Suggestions Fit for Royalty
This veal roast truly shines when served alongside couscous, whether steamed or in a refreshing salad. For a classic pairing, consider roasted or mashed potatoes, basic polenta, polenta loaf, or a rich and creamy risotto. Don’t forget to include some green peas or green beans as a delightful side dish. And to complete the culinary experience, a fresh green salad with a tangy vinaigrette is sure to impress.
Discover More Veal Delights
If you can’t get enough of the indulgent flavors of veal, we have more recipes waiting to tantalize your taste buds. From veal shanks to slow-cooker osso buco, mouthwatering ground veal meatballs to veal liver, our collection of veal recipes will take your cooking skills to new heights.
So what are you waiting for? Embark on this culinary adventure and savor every bite of this easy and elegant veal roast. For more delectable recipes and inspiration, visit Rowdy Hog Smokin BBQ – your ultimate destination for all things savory and smoky.