Who doesn’t love a delicious meatball? These tasty morsels, known as “almondegas” in Portuguese, are a true delight. But let’s face it, making meatballs from scratch can sometimes be a hassle. Well, fret not, my friend! I’ve got just the recipe to make your life easier while still treating your taste buds to a culinary masterpiece.
Why These Beef and Sausage Meatballs are a Must-Try
Picture this: a plateful of cloud-like meatballs that are not only versatile but also freeze-friendly. Yes, you heard it right! These homemade Ground Beef and Sausage Meatballs are perfect for both mid-week dinners and fancy dinner parties. Whether you serve them as cute appetizers or a main course, they will surely impress your guests.
The best part? This recipe yields a generous batch, so you can savor the goodness now and save some for later. Just imagine having a stash of these delectable meatballs in your freezer. All you need is a jar of your favorite tomato sauce and a plate of pasta to create the ultimate comfort food dinner.
The Art of Crafting Perfect Meatballs
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s talk about the key components that make these meatballs so irresistible. The secret lies in their pillowy softness, which is achieved by combining ground beef, pork sausage, olive oil, parmesan, milk, breadcrumbs, and an egg. This harmonious blend creates moist and flavorful meatballs without compromising their light and delicate texture.
Now, here’s a crucial tip: these pork sausage meatballs must be baked. Pan frying them will only result in a crumbly mess. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. So, to avoid any kitchen disasters, stick to baking these beauties.
A Flavorful Symphony of Ingredients
To create these scrumptious meatballs, you’ll need a few essential ingredients. Here’s what you’ll find in your culinary arsenal:
- Ground beef: Opt for 85% ground beef to maximize flavor and moisture.
- Pork sausage: Choose a sweeter variety to add a delightful touch.
- Brazilian Sofrito: This aromatic addition complements the meatballs perfectly.
- Fresh parsley: A generous amount of fresh parsley adds a vibrant burst of flavor.
- Breadcrumbs: Unseasoned breadcrumbs ensure the perfect texture.
- Onion: Yellow or white onion works wonders in this recipe.
- Kosher salt and black pepper: Essential seasonings for that irresistible taste.
- Whole milk: Use full-fat milk for the best results.
- Egg: The binder that brings everything together.
- Olive oil: Adds moisture and richness to the meatballs.
- Parmesan cheese: Opt for freshly grated or shredded cheese for enhanced flavor.
Mastering the Art of Meatball Making
Now, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of creating these homemade meatballs. Trust me, it’s easier than it sounds. Here’s a step-by-step guide to ensure you achieve meatball perfection:
- Mince the veggies: In a food processor, pulse together the onion, parsley leaves, olive oil, and Brazilian Sofrito until finely minced.
- Prepare the binding: Whisk the egg into the milk, then add the breadcrumbs. This mixture will infuse the meatballs with moistness and texture.
- Time for the meaty magic: In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, pork sausage, salt, pepper, cheese, minced veggies, and the binding mixture. Using your hand in the shape of a claw, gently mix the ingredients until just combined. Avoid overworking and squeezing them, as it will result in tough meatballs.
- Shape and bake: Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Scoop about a tablespoon and a half of the meatball mixture into the palm of your hand. Gently shape it into a ball and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat until all the meat mixture has been transformed into tantalizing meatballs. Bake them for 15-20 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 160ºF.
A Meatball Extravaganza Awaits
Once your meatballs are perfectly baked and ready, it’s time to enjoy them. Serve them warm with your favorite jarred tomato sauce over a bed of pasta, and let the flavors intertwine to create a symphony of taste. These meatballs also make fantastic appetizers when paired with tomato sauce. And let’s not forget the classic meatball sub option!
The Freezing Power
If you find yourself with an abundance of meatballs, don’t worry. This recipe is perfect for freezing. Simply let the meatballs cool completely, transfer them to a freezer-safe bag, and stow them away in the freezer. They will remain deliciously preserved for up to 3 months. When it’s time to defrost, place them in the fridge and let them come to temperature. Reheat them in a pan with pasta sauce or simply pop them in the microwave.
Let Your Taste Buds Explore
When it comes to serving options, the possibilities are endless. While I personally adore these meatballs with my favorite jarred tomato sauce over pasta, you can get creative. You can also toss them in your preferred sauce and keep them warm in a slow cooker for an effortless party appetizer. The choice is yours!
Expand Your Sausage Repertoire
If you’re passionate about pork sausage, don’t stop at meatballs. Check out these other tempting recipes that incorporate this flavorful ingredient:
- Lentil Stew with Sausage and Pork
- Instant Pot Lentils
- Slow Cooker Black Beans [Brazilian Style]
For more Brazilian culinary inspiration, be sure to visit Rowdy Hog Smokin BBQ. Let your taste buds embark on a tantalizing journey to satisfy your cravings for exceptional flavors.