If you’ve ever found yourself with a package of frozen ground beef and no time to thaw it, we have the ultimate weeknight meal secret for you – cooking frozen ground beef in your Instant Pot. Not only is it safe, but it’s also fast and efficient, allowing you to have juicy and tender ground beef on your table in just 20 minutes flat. No thawing needed!
The Instant Pot has been a game-changer when it comes to cooking protein quickly, from whole chicken to pulled pork. And now, it’s time to unlock the potential of cooking frozen ground beef to perfection. While other methods may result in tough, chewy beef, our secret technique ensures that your ground beef turns out tender, juicy, and absolutely delicious.
Before we dive into the step-by-step directions, check out the video below to see how easy it is to cook frozen ground beef in your Instant Pot. If you’re hungry for more recipe videos, head over to my YouTube channel.
To get started, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Beef – 1 lb. We recommend using fatty cuts as the fat will drip into the water below and be discarded.
- Water – 1 cup for a 6-quart Instant Pot, or 1.5 cups for the 8-quart model.
Now, let’s get cooking! Follow these simple instructions to cook your frozen ground beef to perfection.
- Start by adding water to your Instant Pot insert. Use 1 cup for a 6-quart Instant Pot, or 1.5 cups for the 8-quart model.
- Place the trivet inside the Instant Pot, then add the block of frozen ground beef on top of the trivet.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot, set the valve to ‘sealing,’ and pressure cook on high pressure for 5 minutes.
Note: The 5-minute cook time is ideal for ground beef slabs that are 1 ½ to 2 inches thick. Adjust the cook time if your block is thicker.
- Once the timer beeps, do a quick pressure release by carefully turning the valve to release the pressure. Be cautious and use oven mitts.
- Carefully remove the trivet and ground beef from the Instant Pot, placing them on a clean plate. Dump out the water from the insert and return it to the Instant Pot.
- Select the ‘sauté’ function on your Instant Pot and add the ground beef (along with any desired seasonings) back to the pot.
- Cook the ground beef, breaking it up with a spatula, until it is cooked through and the sauce is absorbed.
Two Flavor Variations
To add some variety to your dinner routine, try these two flavor variations for your Instant Pot frozen ground beef.
- When returning the ground beef to the Instant Pot for sautéing, add taco seasoning and ⅔ cup of water.
- Cook until the beef is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened (2-3 minutes).
- When returning the ground beef to the Instant Pot for sautéing, add garlic, ginger, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and black pepper.
- Cook until the beef is cooked through (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in carrots if desired and enjoy over rice or served in lettuce wraps.
Note: For exact ingredient measurements, please refer to the recipe card.
FAQ: Storage and Reheating
- Fridge: Let the cooked ground beef cool completely, then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freeze: Let the cooked ground beef cool completely, then freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Reheat: Heat the ground beef in a frying pan or in the microwave until it is steaming hot.
Now that you have the secret to cooking perfect Instant Pot frozen ground beef, the possibilities are endless. Use it in your favorite recipes or experiment with new flavors. From tacos to Korean-inspired bowls, this versatile protein is ready to make your dinner routine exciting and effortless.
So, without further ado, grab your Instant Pot, some frozen ground beef, and get ready to enjoy a delicious meal in no time. For more mouthwatering recipes and cooking tips, make sure to visit Rowdy Hog Smokin BBQ.
Images and YouTube video sourced from the original article.