The Dangers of Corn on the Cob for Dogs

We all love a good BBQ, and so does our furry friend. It’s the perfect opportunity for them to snatch some tasty table food and sprint away! But amidst all the deliciousness, there’s one item on the menu that poses a real danger to our dogs: corn on the cob.

Can Dogs Eat Corn on the Cob?

The answer is a bit complicated. While the kernels themselves are usually harmless, the cob is where the trouble lies. Dogs can easily grab hold of a buttery corn cob and sink their teeth into it. But once swallowed, the cob can be difficult for them to digest, leading to potential health issues.

The Risks of Corn Cob Ingestion

If a dog ingests a corn cob, it may pass through their esophagus without causing any problems. However, in smaller breeds, choking can occur. The more pressing issue arises when the corn cob moves further down the digestive tract. Dogs are unable to digest the cob, so it needs to pass through their system. Unfortunately, they cannot do this on their own.

What to Do if Your Dog Eats a Corn Cob

If your dog ingests a corn cob, it is crucial to seek immediate veterinary assistance. This is not a time to laugh it off as a funny mishap; it is a serious emergency that could be fatal for your pet. Look out for signs such as vomiting, abdominal pain, unusual behavior, diarrhea, or lethargy. These symptoms indicate that the obstruction needs prompt medical attention.

Further reading:  Crispy and Spicy: Hot Honey Bangin' Crunchy Cornflake Baked Chicken

Treatment in the Emergency Room

Upon arrival at a veterinary emergency facility like VEG, the pet will be triaged without delay. If the ingestion is recent and the dog isn’t already vomiting, the veterinarian may induce vomiting. X-rays will be taken to determine the exact location of the corn cob. If it is still in the stomach, an endoscopy might be performed to remove it. However, if the cob is too heavy for the scope, a surgical procedure called gastrotomy will be necessary to open the stomach and retrieve the corn cob.

Preventing Corn Cob Ingestion

Prevention is always better than cure when it comes to emergency situations. To avoid this dangerous scenario, here are a few helpful tips:

  • Keep a close eye on your dog during picnics or barbecues.
  • Secure the garbage in a way that prevents curious noses and paws from accessing it.
  • Ask people to discard the corn handles after they’re done eating. Dogs have been known to swallow them along with the cob, leading to further complications.
  • Clear plates promptly once guests have finished eating.
  • Remind guests to be mindful of your furry friend who will undoubtedly be seeking table food.

Trust VEG for Your Pet’s Emergencies

Ingesting a corn cob is just one example of the hazards we encounter in our emergency rooms. For more safety advice and tips for picnics, reach out to your local VEG facility. If your pet requires emergency or urgent care, our 24/7 available emergency veterinarians across the country are here to assist you. When you visit VEG, our highly trained team will prioritize your pet’s well-being within seconds.

Further reading:  Creamy Corn Chowder Recipe: A Flavorful Veggie Delight!

Remember, keeping our pets safe is the key to a fun and worry-free BBQ experience. So, let’s indulge them with some love and healthy treats instead of risking their health with corn on the cob.

Rowdy Hog Smokin BBQ