Every bite of these baked beans with ground beef takes you back to nostalgic summer cookouts, where the aroma of charcoal and sizzling meat filled the air. This recipe, born from a mother’s love and perfected over the years, is the ultimate crowd-pleaser.
Unveiling the Ingredients
To create this hearty dish, you’ll need a handful of simple and flavorful ingredients:
- Canned Baked Beans: Opt for the original flavor from Bush’s, like their brown sugar hickory variation.
- Ground Beef: Lean ground beef with an 85/15 ratio ensures a non-greasy outcome.
- Spices: Smoked paprika, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and chili powder add depth to the dish.
- Yellow Onion: This essential ingredient infuses flavors into the beef as it cooks.
- Sauces: Barbecue sauce, ketchup, yellow mustard, and a touch of Worcestershire sauce elevate the taste. Alternatively, soy sauce can be used as a substitute for Worcestershire sauce.
- Brown Sugar: A hint of light brown sugar enhances the dish’s sweetness. For a richer caramel flavor, dark brown sugar or a tablespoon of molasses works wonders.
- Butter: When baked, the butter blends into a luscious, buttery sweet sauce, enveloping the beans.
Variations to Spice Things Up
To add a personal touch to your baked beans, consider these exciting variations:
- Pepper Power: Dice a green or red bell pepper for an extra punch of flavor.
- Cowboy Delight: Crispy bacon and red bell peppers turn this recipe into savory cowboy baked beans.
- DIY BBQ Sauce: Customize the dish by using your homemade BBQ sauce.
- Steady Warmth: Keep the beans warm by transferring them to a crockpot on the warm setting, making sure they don’t dry out.
Tips for Perfecting Your Baked Beans
To achieve the best results, keep these useful tips in mind:
- Mustard Matters: Stick with yellow mustard to avoid any unwanted bitterness in the beans.
- The Right Dish: If you don’t have a 9×13 baking pan, an oven-safe dutch oven works just as well.
- Hearty Preparation: Start by heating olive oil in a large skillet, adding sliced onions, ground beef, salt, and black pepper. Cook until the beef is fully done.
- A Flavorful Symphony: Sprinkle smoked paprika, ground ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and chili powder onto the cooked ground beef. Mix well to incorporate the spices.
- The Key Ingredients: Reduce the heat before adding the BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, butter, and canned baked beans. Combine everything gently.
- The Oven’s Magic Touch: Transfer the mixture to a 9×13 baking dish or casserole dish, then bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Allow the beans to cool for at least 20 minutes to enhance their thick consistency.
- The Finishing Touch: Complete your dish by topping it with fresh green onion slices.
Perfect Pairings for Your Baked Beans
This versatile recipe pairs well with a variety of dishes for a satisfying dinner. Some classic options include:
- Sweet Cornbread Recipe
- Slow Cooker BBQ Baby Back Ribs
- Honey Soy Garlic Pork Chops
- Gourmet Hot Dogs
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork, served with a side of these delectable beans
- Brioche Dinner Rolls
More Mouthwatering Side Dishes
Expand your culinary repertoire with these delicious side dish options:
- Bourbon Sweet Potato Casserole
- Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Smoked Mac and Cheese
- Easy Homemade Biscuits
- Homemade Cheesy Garlic Bread
So, gather your loved ones and embark on a Southern flavor adventure with these irresistible baked beans featuring a delightful meaty twist. Your taste buds will thank you!