When these sizzling Beef Teriyaki Skewers hit the grill, the irresistible aroma will captivate everyone around you. These easy-to-make flank steak skewers with homemade teriyaki sauce will have people flocking to your backyard to get a taste of the mouthwatering flavors.
Easy Beef Teriyaki Skewers
As summer comes to an end, it’s time to make the most of grilling season. And what could be better than indulging in these perfect beef teriyaki skewers while basking in the sunshine? With just the right balance of salty, tangy, sweet, and tender, these skewers are the ultimate treat for those final sunny days.
To create these exquisite skewers, I used thinly sliced flank steak threaded onto wooden skewers and seasoned with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. The teriyaki sauce, with its rich flavors, is a breeze to prepare. Just throw all the ingredients into a small saucepan, let it come to a boil, and watch it thicken beautifully.
The Teriyaki Method
Did you know that teriyaki is not just a sauce but also a cooking method? Originating from Japanese cuisine, the technique involves cooking your food in a glaze made from soy sauce, sugar, and mirin. It’s a simple yet effective way to infuse your dish with incredible flavors. And as an added twist, we’ll amp up the taste of our teriyaki sauce!
Before we dive into the detailed measurements and instructions, let’s take a look at the key players in this recipe.
- Beef: Opt for flank steak sliced into thin strips.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper.
- Wooden skewers: Soak them before grilling to prevent scorching.
- Aromatics: Fresh garlic and minced ginger.
- Cornstarch: We’ll create a slurry using cornstarch and cold water to thicken the sauce.
- Water: Essential for achieving the desired consistency.
- Soy sauce: Choose low-sodium soy sauce to control the saltiness.
- Sugar: We’ll use brown sugar to add sweetness and a touch of rich molasses flavor to the sauce.
- Rice vinegar: You can substitute it with mirin or cooking sherry.
How To Make Beef Teriyaki Skewers
- Thread the beef onto the skewers, allowing about 2 pieces per skewer.
- Place the beef skewers on a preheated grill, brushing them generously with the prepared teriyaki sauce on both sides.
- Grill for approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side, adjusting the time according to the thickness of your beef.
- Once cooked to perfection, garnish with toasted sesame seeds and parsley, if desired.
If you’re having trouble slicing the steak thinly, try placing it in the freezer for 10 minutes beforehand. This will make the slicing process much easier.
Soy Sauce vs. Teriyaki Sauce
While soy sauce and teriyaki sauce might seem interchangeable, they offer distinct flavor profiles. Soy sauce delivers a salty and umami-packed punch but lacks the complexity of a complete sauce. On the other hand, teriyaki sauce combines salt, sweetness, acidity, and a satisfying thickness, creating a well-rounded harmony of flavors. For this recipe, teriyaki sauce is the superstar that will elevate your grilling game.
These beef teriyaki skewers pair perfectly with a fresh salad, but you can also serve them over cooked rice with a side of steamed veggies.
- Steamed broccoli
- Bok choy
- Bell pepper
- Brown rice
- Jasmine rice
- Basmati rice
If you have any leftovers, don’t worry! You can store the beef teriyaki skewers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. The sauce can be stored separately and should remain fresh for up to a week. Freezing is also an option. Simply store the cooked beef in an airtight container and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge when you’re ready to enjoy it. The teriyaki sauce can be frozen indefinitely, making it a versatile ingredient for future dishes.
More Delightful Recipes to Try
If you loved these beef teriyaki skewers, here are some other mouthwatering recipes you should definitely check out:
- Chicken Teriyaki
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Beef Rendang
- Asian Glazed Salmon In Foil
- Udon Noodles With Pork And Mushrooms
- Roasted Quail
- Korean Beef Rice Bowls
- Bang Bang Chicken
Prepare to be blown away by the endless culinary possibilities!