Are you ready to add a burst of flavor to your next barbecue dinner? Look no further than this homemade tangy and sweet pineapple BBQ sauce. Whether you’re grilling chicken, pork, fish, or veggies, this sauce will elevate your dishes with its fresh pineapple taste.
Why settle for store-bought barbecue sauce when you can easily make your own? Making your own condiments, especially during grilling season, allows you to customize your flavors and impress your friends and family. And the best part? This pineapple BBQ sauce recipe is quick, straightforward, and will leave your taste buds wanting more.
One of the main reasons to make your own sauce is to have complete control over the ingredients. Store-bought sauces can often be too sweet or too spicy. By making your own pineapple BBQ sauce, you can adjust the flavors to your liking. Say goodbye to artificial ingredients and preservatives, and say hello to a sauce that you know and trust.
And the best part? You probably have all the ingredients you need right in your pantry and fridge. This recipe calls for common ingredients, making it a breeze to whip up a batch in no time. So let’s get started!
- Ketchup: Grab your favorite brand. You can even use spicy ketchup for a fun twist.
- Brown Sugar: Add sweetness to the sauce. Substitute honey or maple syrup if desired.
- Seasoned Salt: This blend usually contains a combination of salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. It may also have a hint of cayenne pepper for heat.
- Paprika: This sweet and mild pepper adds depth of flavor. For a smoky twist, try using smoked paprika.
- Pineapple Juice: Use the juice from a can of pineapple and serve the pineapple with your meal. For a chunkier sauce, use undrained, crushed pineapple.
- Cider Vinegar: ACV adds a nice twang to the sauce.
See the recipe card for specific quantities.
Soften the brown sugar: If your brown sugar is hard, place it in a small microwavable bowl and cover it with a wet paper towel. Microwave it in 20-second increments until it softens.
Mix it up: In a pot, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, seasoned salt, paprika, pineapple juice, and cider vinegar. Stir well to ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Simmer and thicken: Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens to your desired consistency. Remember to stir occasionally to prevent the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
Let it cool: Once the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat and let it cool before transferring it to an airtight container.
Want to spice things up or add extra flavors to your sauce? Here are some creative variations and substitutions you can try:
- Spicy: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce for a hint of heat.
- Chunky: Use undrained, crushed pineapple instead of pineapple juice for a chunkier sauce.
- Umami: Give the sauce an umami flavor by adding a dash of soy sauce. If you’re gluten-free, use tamari or amino acids instead. Worcestershire sauce is another great flavor booster.
- Aromatics: Saute diced onion and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients for an added layer of flavor. Fresh ginger can also provide a lovely warm flavor.
- Lower Sugar: Use sugar-free ketchup and replace the brown sugar with your favorite sugar replacement. Natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup are also great options.
Store your homemade barbecue sauce in an airtight container, such as mason jars, in the fridge for up to a week. Freezing this sauce is not recommended as it may alter the texture.
This tangy pineapple barbecue sauce pairs beautifully with various dishes. Here are some serving suggestions to get you started:
- Air Fryer BBQ Shrimp
- Easy BBQ Chicken Leg Quarters
- Juicy Grilled Porkchops with Beer
- Boiled Chicken Legs
- BBQ Chicken Flatbread on Food Fanatic
Frequently Asked Questions
If you enjoyed this Pineapple BBQ Sauce recipe, please leave a 5-star rating. For more mouthwatering recipes and cooking tips, subscribe to Jersey Girl Cooks. You can also order the Super Easy Cookbook for Beginners and connect with us on social media – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Now go ahead and unleash your creativity in the kitchen with this tantalizing homemade pineapple BBQ sauce!