Who doesn’t love a mouthwatering barbecue sauce that combines sweetness, tanginess, and a hint of spice? Introducing the sensational Apple Butter BBQ Sauce—an absolute game-changer for your taste buds. This delectable sauce elevates the flavor of smoked ribs, barbecue pulled pork, burgers, and even grilled chicken. Trust me, you won’t be able to resist slathering it on everything!
One of the standout features of this Apple Butter BBQ Sauce is its ability to capture the essence of fall. Delve into its depth of flavor and experience a symphony of taste sensations. While it incorporates classic ingredients like ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar, it also introduces some extraordinary flavors. The addition of apple butter lends a touch of sweetness, chili powder brings the heat, and sautéed onions offer an earthy essence.
The beautiful color of this sauce is simply enticing, and the recipe generously yields two 12-ounce jars of this unmissable BBQ sauce.
Let’s Make It Together:
Ingredients in Apple Butter BBQ Sauce
- Olive Oil – for sautéing the onion and garlic
- Onions – finely dice your onions into very small pieces
- Garlic – minced, again into very small pieces
- Apple Butter – feel free to use homemade or store-bought varieties
- Ketchup – any kind works; I used homemade ketchup from garden tomatoes
- Apple Cider Vinegar – gives our sauce tang, can be substituted with rice vinegar
- Brown Sugar – imparts a deeper molasses flavor
- Worcestershire Sauce – is it really a BBQ sauce without it?
- Spices (salt, pepper, chili powder) – adjust the chili powder according to your spice preference
How to Make Apple Butter BBQ Sauce
Start by finely dicing the onion and mincing the garlic. Remember, the size you cut them to will be the size they appear in your barbecue sauce. Next, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil until they become soft and translucent. Then, add all the remaining ingredients—apple butter, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and chili powder—and whisk until you achieve a smooth consistency. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Once the sauce reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for ten to fifteen minutes. Finally, pour the tantalizing Apple Butter BBQ Sauce into a glass jar and refrigerate it for up to three weeks.
TIP: If your onions are a little too large, you can always blend the cooked barbecue sauce for about 10 seconds until smooth before transferring it to your jars.
What is Apple Butter and Where Do I Find It?
Apple butter is the sophisticated cousin of apple sauce. This luscious spread is created by simmering apples and cinnamon for an extended period, allowing the apples to caramelize and transform into a delectable paste-like consistency. You can either make it from scratch using various recipes or easily find it in any grocery store.
Confession: I developed this recipe because I had leftover apple butter that was about to expire, and this sauce is simply too good to waste!
Apple Butter BBQ Sauce Uses:
Prepare to be amazed by the versatility of this sauce. Its perfect balance of sweet, savory, and slightly tangy flavors makes it an ideal companion for a wide range of dishes. Here are just a few ideas to spark your culinary creativity:
- Pair it with pulled pork or create mouthwatering pulled pork sliders.
- Elevate your sandwiches or burgers with a generous dollop.
- Use it as a dipping sauce or coating for chicken wings—try it with my crispy baked wings recipe.
- Transform your meatballs with a generous glaze of this sauce.
- Enjoy it as a dip for fresh vegetables or fries.
- Drizzle it over salads for a unique dressing.
- Indulge in its rich flavors while dipping Smashed Fingerling Potatoes.
More Condiment Recipes To Try:
If you can’t get enough of tantalizing condiments and sauces, here are some more ideas to explore:
- Quick Pickled Jalapenos
- Blackberry BBQ Sauce
- Horseradish Aioli
- Yogurt Dill Sauce
- Sriracha Aioli
- Chipotle Southwest Sauce
- Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce
- Hot Honey Sauce
Thanks for dropping in! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to my weekly newsletter for exciting NEW CONTENT and engaging CONVERSATIONS delivered straight to your inbox. If you love this recipe, save it now so you can easily find it later. Thank you for your support!